Guide to Classroom Names
As the Fall quarter commenced, Concord faculty and students were greeted by nameplates adorning the entrances of most campus classrooms. Part of a campus naming initiative, each classroom name was chosen to reflect the rich history of Contra Costa County, and further tie the campus symbolically to the region it serves.
The following guide provides information on the individual names for each classroom.
Academic Services Building
120 IRON HORSE
Opened in 1891, the Iron Horse Corridor was the San Ramon Valley branch line of the Southern Pacific Railroad, and played a critical role in the development of Central Contra Costa County. In 1978, the Southern Pacific abandoned the line and the right of way was subsequently purchased by the City of San Ramon. Today the corridor serves as a recreational trail. The Iron Horse room serves as the main conference room of the campus.
201 TODOS SANTOS
The original name and public plaza of the city of Concord. Many of the early Anglo residents of the plaza neighborhood were refugees who had lost their homes in the 1868 rupture of the Hayward Fault.
202 LAS NUECES
Mexican land grant given in 1834 to Juana Sanchez de Pacheco by Governor José Figueroa. The grant was named after a stream that ran through the tract, Arroyo de las Nueces, or Walnut Creek.
The combined name of the cities of Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda. The territory comprises much of the Mexican land grant known as Rancho Laguna De Los Palos Colorados (Ranch Of The Lake Of The Redwoods).
The historic waterfront districts of Contra Costa cities were vital to the region's early industrial development. Cities like Antioch, Richmond, Martinez, Pittsburg and other area communities were dotted with dozens of canneries, employing workers from a variety of backgrounds.
149 LIFELONG LEARNING
Osher Life Long Learning Institute partners with California State University, East Bay to bring educational opportunities to residents aged 55 and over.
150 DISTANCE LEARNING
Room dedicated to development of distant learning applications.
The Chupcan, a Bay Miwok band, occupied territory northwest of Mt. Diablo, including what now comprises the cities of Clayton and Concord. The Spaniards named Mount Diablo (Devil's Thicket) when members of the Chupcan band escaped pursuing soldiers.
231 BLACK DIAMOND
Today a regional preserve, from 1850 to 1906, the area was the largest coal producing region in California. Known as the Mount Diablo Coalfield, the site included twelve coal mines and three coal mining towns.
232 DE ANZA
The De Anza Trail was the route followed by the reconnaissance group led by Lt. Col. Juan Bautista de Anza in 1775-76. The Anza Expedition explored much of coastal California, including parts of Contra Costa County.
233 ALHAMBRA VALLEY
Located between Martinez and Pleasant Hill, the Alhambra Valley was an agricultural area settled in part by Japanese-American farmers. Members of the community helped establish the Concord Nippongo Gakko, or Concord Japanese Language Institute, in 1927.
234 CONTRA LOMA
Contra Loma Regional Park's 780 acres include an 80-acre reservoir for year-round fishing and a lifeguarded swim lagoon for summertime swimming, along with year-round hiking, biking, and nature study at this Contra Costa County oasis. Contra Loma is Spanish for "against the hill".
235 MUIR HOUSE
Located in Martinez, the John Muir House was built in 1882 by Dr. John Strentzel, John Muir's father-in-law. When Dr.Strentzel died in 1890, Mrs. Strentzel invited the Muirs to move into the "big house" with her. This was to be John Muir's home for the last 24 years of his life.
Named for Lime Ridge, a prominent foothill ridge of Mount Diablo. The 900 acre Lime Ridge Open Space includes portions of the city of Concord and the city of Walnut Creek.
237 TAO HOUSE
Historic home of Nobel Prize winning playwright Eugene O'Neil, in Danville. While at Tao House, O'Neill wrote his most memorable plays, including The Iceman Cometh, Long Day's Journey Into Night, and A Moon for the Misbegotten. The home is now a national historic site operated by the National Park Service.
250 CALIFORNIA DELTA
The Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta, or California Delta, is an expansive inland river delta and estuary. The Delta is formed at the western edge of the Central Valley by the confluence of the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers and lies just east of where the rivers enter the greater Suisun Bay, east of San Francisco Bay.
251 PACHECO ADOBE
Historic adobe house built in 1835 by Salvio Pacheco on his Rancho Monte del Diablo land grant, which he obtained from the Mexican government the previous year. His son. Fernando, built a second adobe on a 1,500 acre track given by his father. The grant's boundaries encompassed much of present day Concord and Pleasant Hill.
Contra Costa Hall
160 SHIPYARD NO. 3
The four shipyards operated by Permanente Metals and Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond built more ships than any other shipyard during World War II, turning out as many as three ships in a single day. The shipyards are now part of the Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front National Historical Park.
162 MARSH CREEK
Stream in east Contra Costa County, California in Northern California which rises on the eastern side of Mount Diablo and flows 30 miles (48 km) to the Sacramento–San Joaquin River Delta at Oakley, California, near Big Break Regional Shoreline. The creek flows through Marsh Creek State Park (California), where water is impounded to form Marsh Creek Reservoir, then through the city of Brentwood.
163 GALINDO CREEK
Galindo Creek is the main stem of the Galindo Creek Watershed, which runs through the city of Concord. A portion of the creek crosses the southeastern portion of Cal State East Bay's Concord Campus.
261 DIABLO VIEW
One of the most prominent features in Contra Costa County. At 3,849 feet (1,173 m), the peak is visible from most of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Contra Costa County's neighbor to the north, Solano County was created in 1850 at the time of California's admission to the Union. The county derives its name from Solano, the baptismal name of the Chief of the Suisun people.
Like what you’re reading? Then don’t miss an issue. Subscribe to be notified when the next issue is published.